<< Back to all Blogs
Login or Create your own free blog
Home > Category: Just need to whine

Viewing the 'Just need to whine' Category

Letting go of a dream

October 8th, 2008 at 05:09 pm

I've decided to definitely NOT buy a Vespa next spring as planned. With private school looming in the not-too-distant future and the economy tanking, I can think of other ways to spend the few thousand dollars that the Vespa would cost.

That decision coupled with the very likely closing of my daughter's current school and our need to relocate her and ourselves has me feeling down in the dumps. Plus, there's the whole economy mess, my debt and the general disarray of the world.

Yeah, I'm really in a great mood today...

On another note, I made $33.33 selling more junk on eBay. See the new Challenge total over there on the left if you're interested.

Persistence pays off

October 1st, 2008 at 07:17 pm

Today I went to United's website to purchase a ticket home for the adult stepson. The ticket was a gift for my husband, who is graduating with yet another degree in December and who asked that we fly the adult stepson home for the graduation ceremony/party.

I was able to find an airfare for $279, and I wanted to apply a $100 travel voucher toward the cost of the ticket and then pay for the rest of the ticket out of pocket.

I got to the screen where you pay when I realized there was nowhere to enter a voucher number, so I called United's customer service number and was told I would have to call the reservation line to book the flight if I was using a paper voucher (which I was).

Before I go any further, let me explain how I got the paper voucher. Last October while The Midge was traveling back from California with my sister, United decided at the last minute to cancel their flight because it was way undersold. Instead, they stuck them on a later flight. However, they didn't cancel the flight until The Midge had arrived at the airport. Then they made her sit at the airport for 10 hours and she didn't make it home until 11 p.m. -- not good for a 7 year old who had to be up the next day to go to school.

My sister threw a fit, which caused an earthquake in southern California. The skies opened up and the gods bestowed on my daughter a $100 travel voucher for the "inconvenience." A travel voucher that was fully transferable.

So back to today ...

I call the reservation line and I'm told I will be charged an extra $25 if I have a real live agent book the flight, so I go through United's automated phone system instead. Everything's going along swimmingly up until the point where I have to pay for the ticket -- and, again, no way to enter a voucher number... .

At this point, I repeat a dozen times "Agent please!" and I'm eventually connected to a real live human, to whom I explain that I'm trying to buy a ticket with a voucher so my adult stepson can come home. (Home as in he lives in one state and I live in another state where home is... .)

I'm then told that in order to get the quoted fare I will need to go to the nearest airport within 24 hours with the voucher and The Midge and the adult stepson -- who lives in ANOTHER STATE!!!!


After I explain all this to the agent on the phone again, she puts me on hold to "check with her supervisor" (also known as checking with her brain).

A while later, she comes back and says I can have the adult stepson fax or e-mail a copy of his government-issued identification to me and then I can mail it along with the voucher -- and a copy of a government-issued ID for The Midge -- to some address in Michigan within 24 hours.

"Uh, what if The Midge's government-issued ID is sitting in a safety deposit box that I can't access until tomorrow at the earliest," I ask, totally forgetting that her passport is actually sitting downstairs in my husband's office.

"If we don't have a copy of both government-issued IDs and the original voucher postmarked within 24 hours, we won't honor the voucher," I'm told.

"So, explain this to me: we got this voucher because of your lousy service, but we can't use it because of your lousy service," I ask.

"Yes, sorry," is the response from the United agent, readily admitting that her employer provides lousy service.

In the end, I did end up buying the ticket with the voucher, government-issued ID for both "children," and cold-hard cash -- but only after spending an hour dealing with United and promising them my left arm, all future earnings and any future grandchildren the above-mentioned children may spawn. ...


Oh, and as long as I'm here, I'm adding $37.50 to the Challenge from a small job I did for a client of the booming business. That brings my new total to $12,731.67.


Saved money on lunch but now I'm paying for it...

September 24th, 2008 at 11:40 am

I made the mistake of opening an email that I got from Rubios this morning. Ever since then, I've been cravings a fish taco.

Although I have plenty of money left in my personal expense account for the month, I didn't want to waste gas by driving all the way to Rubios.

However, the craving kept gnawing at me, so I knew I had to do something quick to get over it.

My solution was to eat leftover mac and cheese from last night. As a result I now have massive heartburn.

Not a good thing... .

I might need to drive to the store for some Rolaids if I can't find some here soon.

A necessary evil

August 26th, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Ugh... I just mailed off a huge stack of paperwork to get my daughter evaluated for learning "differences" at the local children's hospital. Of course insurance won't cover it, so we're paying $900 out of pocket to have a bunch of testing done before we decide where to place her for school next year.

There is a possibility that her current public school will be closing next year or that a number of new students will transfer in because another school in the district may be closing. Either way, this doesn't bode well for her because she needs to be in a very small classroom setting and/or have one-on-one assistance throughout most of the day.

Because of this, we are thinking of putting her in a private school that will better suit her needs. The tests her current school already conducted to assess her needs weren't thorough enough, so that's why we're having to pay out-of-pocket for more testing before we decide on a school.

Our flexible spending account for health care will cover the tests, but that means less money available for things like dental care, eyeglasses, real medical "issues," etc.


OK, enough ranting.

I did manage to haul the Midge to karate and back yesterday without splurging on that certain Asian cuisine that I've been asked not to mention anymore -- lest it lead to mass cravings here. (As predicted, we ate Ramen noodles instead....)

Despite the craving for the above-mentioned Asian food, I've been particularly pleased with myself because I've been pretty much staying home during the day and working -- and not splurging on things like Starbucks, trips to Target and lunch out. For instance, today I warmed up a leftover Greek burger that we made from scratch Friday when the Asian food craving first hit (I know ... Greek/Asian -- not the same thing...)

And, for dinner tonight, I'm making French dip sandwiches using the Crock Pot for my husband and I to eat after we get done with back-to-school/squeeze-your-adult-body-in-a-chair-meant-for-the-Midge night.

I'm guessing there will be more than enough left over for me to eat tomorrow for lunch as well.

Dragged myself to the post office and...

August 21st, 2008 at 10:58 am

Mailed the eBay stuff, so I'm adding $190.59 to the Challenge, which brings my total to $11,404.99.

Of that money, $158.14 is going to the Vespa fund, so I'm now up to $297.79 and think I might be able to buy a tire now.

I'm still feverish and generally yucky all over, but I'm struggling to get some work done for the booming business today so I can go back to bed.

The only reason I left the house today is because the lunch lady sent my daughter home from school with a stamp saying she only had one lunch left on her account. Since I just wrote a check for lunches Monday and she's only eaten one lunch at school since she went back Tuesday, I figured she either bought lunch for her whole class or there was a huge mistake.

Rather than try to deal with it over the phone, I drove The Midge to school this morning and paid a visit to the lunch lady, who explained she just hadn't entered the check I wrote Monday into my daughter's account. Kind of ticked me off since I was on the verge of passing out and a school cafeteria was last on my list of places I wanted to be....

If only I didn't feel so bad...

August 20th, 2008 at 01:35 pm

I would run the rest of my eBay stuff to the post office, but I'm coming down with a cold, the flu or ebola (not sure which, but it's not pretty....)

Since today is the first full day of school for my daughter, I decided it would be my work-at-home-all-day-without-passing-GO-and-spending-$200 day (i.e. I didn't have plans to go anywhere or spend money). However, tomorrow I was planning on volunteering at the school so I figured I would mail my eBay stuff on the way, but then I woke up feeling bad and decided I should probably stay home again.

So basically I'm sitting on almost $180 in challenge money that I can't claim until I mail the eBay stuff.


Hey, but on a good note, I pulled our credit reports today and despite my attempts to muck them up with all that debt over there on the left I somehow managed not to.

And, of course, I didn't drive or spend money today (and with any luck won't be for the duration of the day since I'm now going to lay down with a bottle of Nyquil...)

Show me the money!

August 15th, 2008 at 09:41 am

I'm slightly annoyed. Over the last two weeks, I've had numerous eBay auctions close and I've either not heard from the winners or they've said the money order is in the mail and I still have nothing to show for it a week later.

I try to be nice about it. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. But, my patience is running out.

Pay up people!

Oh, and as long as we're on the subject, a few clients of the booming side business are running behind on checks too.

What do I look like? Free-Work-Is-Us???? I don't think so. ...

There goes the furniture fund....

August 2nd, 2008 at 09:35 am

My little Bichon is riddled with kidney stones and has to have surgery Monday morning or risk going into kidney failure. To pay for the $1,400 surgery, I'm using the contingency to the contingency fund and furniture fund (no new mattress for me this year...).

Oh, how I miss Hazel....

June 12th, 2008 at 07:55 am

Some of you may recall that back when I was working the "office" job and building up the booming side business I had the good fortune of employing Hazel the Housekeeper for biweekly visits.

Now that I'm only working on the booming business -- and I'm technically "home" all day -- I feel like I should be able to clean my own house again. So today is the first day that I will attempt to pick up where Hazel left off. I am enlisting the help of the Midget to help with at least cleaning her room, but I'm back to "doing it myself" for the most part.

Did I mention that I hate cleaning the house?

OK, maybe not the whole house, but I do hate cleaning the bathrooms. And the windows. And the floors.

But, I don't mind saving the money I would have paid Hazel to clean my house for me. $180 a month buys a lot of lattes....

I'm going to keep telling myself this as I go to scrub the toilets now.

Frugal computing and commuting

May 20th, 2008 at 05:45 am

As of today, the "office" job will be officially over (dancing a little jig here....).

Summer vacation starts Friday for Mini, though, so there won't be much sitting around at home working on the booming business for me (so much for those no drive days....)

This poses a little problem since I do have work that I need to get done and my laptop blew up last year. (I usually work on a desktop.)

Thankfully, I was able to resurrect an old laptop from the junk heap known as my office closet, and I'm sloooowwwwwly getting it up and running.

Slooooowwwwwly as in watching water boil slooooowwwwwly....

Part of the problem is that it wasn't mean to run anything above Windows 2000 and it's now running Vista.

I don't know enough about computers to know what -- if anything -- I can do to speed it up (or if it's worth it cost wise). But I do know summer will be over by the time this thing gets done processing one request.....

Price at the gas pump finally hit me.....

May 12th, 2008 at 02:17 pm

Because I only fill my car up every two weeks, I rarely notice the increase in gas prices. However, yesterday I filled it up and it took $60 in gas where just two months ago I remember it taking $40 in gas.

Thankfully, I rarely drive that far and quitting the "office" job means even less driving. Plus, my husband is taking the bus and train to work on a regular basis, so that's helping as well.

I just can't imagine paying that much for gas every week, which would be the case if I were working full time somewhere other than my home office....


April 23rd, 2008 at 11:50 am

I'm having one of those weeks....

The other day -- the day I called in sick with vertigo -- my husband's car broke down in the middle of a major intersection near our house. He had Mini Me in the car with him so I ran over and got her and then we went to the nearby garage to wait for the tow truck to show up with my husband's car. A while later, in drives my husband. Apparently the car decided to start again -- but it would only run if my husband kept his finger on the ignition switch.

The mechanic looked at it and said the ignition switch or some do-hickey had to be replaced -- for $600 (thank you, car repair fund....).

Also that night, I realized our rice cooker, which I had dropped a few days ago, was broken. It still will cook the rice, but the plastic is cracked, there are all these wires sticking out of it and one of the legs is broken so I have to stick a plate under one side if I want it to be level. (Did I mention it bounced a few times when I dropped it?) So that'll need replacing sometime soon.

Then, yesterday, I realized why I had vertigo -- it's because my husband has shared his nasty cold with me and my ears, head, sinuses, chest, whole body are a mess now. But, like an idiot, I went to work at the "office" job anyway (since the full cold hadn't hit yet and I was at the moment feeling OK). Work itself wouldn't have been so bad if some crazy lady hadn't gone ballistic in the middle of the "office" right before I was scheduled to leave.

Said Crazy Lady has done this numerous times over the last few weeks, but never to this extent. My response is to let the person in charge deal with her, because I'm sorry but I'm not making enough money to deal with crazy people.

So, while I was calling the person in charge (who just happens to be a control freak), Crazy Lady got right in a coworker's face in a very confrontational, threatening manner. Coworker told her to back off or she was calling the cops. Crazy Lady didn't, so Coworker did and in the course of all this Control-Freak-Person-in-Charge shows up.

I then went about my business (figuring one more crazy lady/control freak wasn't going to help matters), but while standing there counting down the minutes until I was off Control-Freak-Person-in-Charge came over and whispered to me "I really think the person in charge should deal with this and I hope nobody calls the police."

I point out that Coworker is still on the phone with the police, who appear to be on their way. And then Control-Freak-Person-in-Charge whispered to me: "That's not the procedure...."

At this point, I almost went crazy-lady ballistic as well, but instead I ever so nicely told her to shove the procedure up her you-know-what and that if anyone feels threatened it is fully within their rights to call the police if they so please. Then I walked off to count my blessings that I'll soon be rid of the "office" job.

I thought that would be the end of it, but after four policemen hauled Crazy Lady out, Control-Freak-Person-in-Charge came over to me and said "I'm not second guessing anyone." To which I replied that she was doing just that the second she whispered her little procedure comment to me and shame on her for putting someone's safety before procedure.

She said she didn't know what to say to me and I said "What about 'sorry'?" She then looked at me all befundled and wandered off to dwell on how to control the rotation of the Earth on its axis.

I'm still waiting for an apology. I figure I won't get one. But I do figure I'll be hearing from Control-Freak-Person-in-Charge and the real freaks in charge at the "office" job about this little incident sometime between now and the end of my tenure there.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that should have been said to any of us worker bees by Control-Freak-Person-in-Charge was: "Is everyone OK?"

That's my story and I'm sticking to it and I dare one of those "office" bosses to question me on this one!

(And this is why I am the best CEO of ME!!!!)

Another challenge addition and car trouble

April 21st, 2008 at 08:19 pm

I got $3 for doing a survey, so I'm putting that toward the challenge. The new total is $8,929.33.

My husband's car died on the way home tonight. He thinks it's something to do with the electrical system and is an "easy" fix (i.e. cheap). I hope he's right because shopping for a car right now sounds about as appealing as getting a root canal.....


April 1st, 2008 at 07:53 am

Yes, Mini Me made it back to school after a lovely spring break and left me with her cold. Between my achy tooth and clogged sinuses, my head is one big stuffed-up mess. And, tomorrow is the first of my two formal dinners that I mentioned last month.

It should be lovely:

My husband: "This is my wife, Karen."

Me: Achoooooo.... Pardon me for blowing snot all over your tuxedo...."

My little ouch is going to become a big OUCH....

March 31st, 2008 at 11:16 am

Went to the dentist this morning for the achy tooth. The doctor cleaned it up and then shot the gum full of antibiotics to try to clear up some infection. He then referred me to a periodontist to most likely have the tooth yanked and an implant put in. I've secured an appointment for three weeks from now for the initial visit. I'm hoping to put off the BIG pain until after the new insurance kicks in this July....

Another challenge addition, plus my husband's whining

March 29th, 2008 at 04:12 pm

I got another freelance check in the mail today plus a Pinecone check, so I'm adding $700.50 to the challenge. The new total is $7,628.34.

My husband is itchin' to buy a new $3,000 memory foam mattress for our bed and I'm itchin' to pay down a credit card. He keeps asking me when we can buy the mattress. I was just sitting here trying to figure out how to distribute the freelance money (between savings and debt) and he started whining about the mattress again.

I think I'm going to have him sleep on the couch for a few nights, so he'll shut up about a new mattress and be happy with what we've got.....

Sucking it in to save money

March 12th, 2008 at 06:31 pm

At least once a year, I'm forced to dress up in something either than jeans and a t-shirt, and be my husband's Trophy Wife at a black-tie event related to his work.

In the past, I've gone shopping for gowns in January, which is when you'll usually find such things on sale. I've always lucked out and have never spent more than $100 on gowns that were originally much more than that.

Last year, I actually lucked out and came down with dysentery or some other cleaver excuse not to go (the exact nature of which currently escapes me). And, this year, I figured I would be off the hook since my husband switched jobs last summer.

Boy was I wrong. I now have two prom-like-events-for-the-geriatric-crowd coming up in the next month that require "formal" attire -- both of which involve me having to sit at a table with the same people, so wearing the same dress to both events won't work....

Aside from the fact that I didn't bother with my usual January gown shopping outing this year or last year, I've also put on a few pounds so I now either need to shed some weight fast, suck it up and invest in a new dress, or just suck it in and hope that nothing "pops."

The things we do for love.....


March 11th, 2008 at 02:57 pm

I worked this morning at the booming side business, then swam a mile despite my low-grade cold and ran a couple errands. I am now barely able to stand upright and still need to pick up Mini Me in 7 minutes at the bus stop, then take her to karate, and pick up Beauty and Beast at the groomer's, come home to cook dinner and then work some more on the booming side business.

I really hope there's a check or something in the mail to give me a little boost....

Changing my ways and other odds and ends from a wasted weekend....

March 9th, 2008 at 09:53 pm

After a month of stealing the neighbors' newspapers (kidding....), I renewed our subscriptions last week at the much lower rate and while doing so signed up to get two Sunday papers for the coupons. Today was the first day they came and after spending way too much time clipping and filing coupons, I've decided not to clip them from now on until I actually go to use them.

I've been storing them in baseball-card holders inside a notebook, but now I'm going to dig out an expandable file and just mark the date on the entire bundle of coupons each week and then take it from there.


My grocery savings this week were pretty much a wash because the Grocery Game folks said I would find two coupons in the paper today that weren't there so I ended up paying full price for the items -- plus I bought Tide on sale, which is like buying any other detergent at full price


I'm not sure if it's the time change or the slight cold I've got, but I ended up getting a whole lot o' nothing accomplished today. I did book the beach vacation early this morning, but from there the day went downhill as far as productivity. I got very little work done on the booming side business -- mainly because I was redoing something that someone else worked on before me and it was a mess that took forever to fix (GRRRR....) Of course, it probably didn't help that the whole family laid down for a nap after a late lunch and the nap turned into a two-hour snooze fest for my husband and I while the kid and dogs bounced on the bed every few minutes while watching Monsters Inc. for the 50th time this weekend. (Please don't send me any nastygrams for sleeping while my child and dogs were running amok. We were all in the same room, sober and watching/listening to a G-rated movie -- not exactly "quality time" for Mini Me, but I'm sure she'll get over it....)


This cold is just annoying enough to make me want to lie low for a few days, but I have a bunch of commitments this week so I don't think that's going to happen.

I promised I would put in a few appearances at the "office" this week. In my line of work, it's usually a bad thing to go in if you're sick but I'm not so blatantly sick that I should stay home (then there's the whole no play/no pay deal I agreed to, so financially it's at least to my advantage to "suit up" and show up for at least a couple minutes every now and then).

Mini Me's also got a "gallery opening" that I have to attend this week. Yes, at the tender age of 7, she is having her first art exhibit.... I don't know how it happened since her kindergarten teacher once questioned her artistic ability (to which I reminded the wench of Jackson Pollock and others who looked at the world through a different lens). But no matter now, because the little Picasso's artwork was chosen for a display at a local gallery -- a real gallery as opposed to the gallery on my refrigerator.

To give you some idea of what we're talking about, here's a self-portrait that she did, which I thought was so good that I got it framed and it's now hanging in the area between the kitchen and living room.

Just when I thought the worst was over....

March 2nd, 2008 at 09:11 am

It was 70 degrees here yesterday. I had the windows open and thought there was hope for an early spring.

It's now snowing and 27 degrees....

Just slightly annoyed and other things on my mind

February 15th, 2008 at 07:25 pm

So last night someone who won some eBay stuff from me a few weeks ago -- but who still hasn't paid me -- emailed after I filed a dispute to get my fees reversed. Mind you, this was the first I had heard from the winning bidder, who assured me that she would be paying for the item today. She did point out that her Paypal account is closed, so I wonder how she's going to pull that off. Now that it's getting fairly late and I still haven't received payment from her, my guess is she's not going to come through.

This really irks me. I, of all people, know people buy stuff they can't afford. But I have yet to stoop to this level of "debting" in my compulsive ways.

Onto other things ... I avoided working at all today, which was kind of nice. Working mostly at home, I can easily fall into the trap of never taking time off, but today I gave myself permission to not even look at any work-related stuff on my computer.

I will have to get back to the booming side business tomorrow, but I'm not returning to the "office" job until next Tuesday so I'll have plenty of time to get caught up.


February 13th, 2008 at 04:21 pm

Due to illness, work and all-over malaise the past few days, my house is a mess and I'm a mess.

Mini Me stayed home yesterday so rather than deal with housekeepers and sick kids, I canceled Hazel the Housekeeper for this week. My intention was to clean the house myself yesterday, but of course I didn't. I worked for part of the morning, then took a long nap with the walking germ factory and then worked some more last night. (Hazel's not scheduled to come back for two more weeks, so I'll either have to get off my butt and start cleaning or live with this mess for a while.)

Meanwhile, because I didn't come home from work until late and was a little wired when I did get home, I decided to watch a DVD and found myself still awake early this morning. As a result, I've been mentally fuzzy all day.

For example, I had a hair appointment this morning and on a whim cut all my hair off -- on only one side of my head. I've kind of got this Flock of Seagulls/Rihanna/Posh Spice thing going right now.

At first I thought "Cool!" but having slept on it for 30 minutes after falling into a heap after the hair appointment, I'm not so sure I like it. Luckily, I own some very sharp scissors so I can always even it all off if it comes to that.

I'm trying to get motivated to work some more tonight, but all I want to do is go soak in a hot bath (and get all those nasty little hair remanants from my shearing off of me so I'll quit itching)and then follow that up with an early bedtime. Yes, the winter blahs have set in....

Another challenge addition and the tax man did not cometh

February 11th, 2008 at 07:49 pm

I made another $13.20 on eBay today after shipping. That adds up to $2,555.43 in the challenge.

We were supposed to visit the rock 'n' roll accountant tomorrow to get our taxes done, but we have yet to receive my husband's W2 from his previous employer. The HR department said they mailed it, which I think they probably did; but it never got to our mailbox (or it did and someone walked off with it). I had some other mail disappear in the last few weeks, so I'm thinking of setting up a sting operation in my front yard to find out if the culprit lives in the 'hood. (BA, I might need to borrow that big flashlight and some handcuffs from you.)

Meanwhile, my husband and I are now trying to coordinate schedules to figure out another day that we're both available to go to the accountant. For the first time ever, we may be filing on April 15....


February 1st, 2008 at 07:34 pm

I just want to say upfront that this post has absolutely nothing to do with savings, but I need to get this off my chest:

There recently was an incident involving Mini Me and a couple of other kids in her class. I won't go into great detail except to say the other two kids were hauled off to the office and their parents were called in.

Today while at the school for my weekly volunteering stint, the teacher was talking to me about the ringleader of the two girls not necessarily being a bad kid (trust me, what she did to my daughter was AWFUL) and then the teacher went on to say "well, you know her mom works full time...."

HELLO!!!! I work full time -- AND THEN SOME -- and you don't see my child exhibiting sociopathic behavior at age 7!

There, I feel slightly better already....

One of those days.....

January 28th, 2008 at 09:51 pm

After spending the morning volunteering, I came home to a house without power. The county is doing major construction on the road down the street and someone cut an underground cable -- or so the utility company said. As a result, the neighborhood was left in the "dark" from 11:48 a.m. until about 5:30 p.m.

As I've mentioned before, the booming side business is run out of my home office, so a power outage does not bode well for my productivity. Not only was I unable to do any work all afternoon, I couldn't clean the carpets, make the pasta sauce that has to simmer for 3 hours or do any more loads of laundry.

After visiting with my neighbor for a while, I came home and laid down. Two hours later I woke up to a dark and cold house. By the time my daughter got off the school bus, it was clear we were not eating anything homemade from my kitchen so after conferring with my husband we decided to go out to eat. We had plans to dine out tomorrow as part of a fund-raiser for Mini Me's school, so we just switched it to tonight and the school will have to do without our money.

Of course, just as we were walking out the door to go to dinner, the power came back on. However, by this point, we all were tired and hungry -- and I was cranky from lack of productivity today -- so we opted to continue on to the restaurant.

When we got home, I was able to complete one project -- a pro bono job that I do monthly. But somehow in the power outage my printer got screwed up, so I can't officially finish it until I can get that figured out -- probably in the morning.

Meanwhile, I was surprised at how fast the clothes dried on the outside line today. I was able to get two loads of laundry washed, air dried and put away. I put one load in the drier because it had stuff I needed to dry faster, but I think ultimately it would have been speedier to hang everything outside.

Also, I did get a free drink at Starbucks this morning because they messed up my order. Unfortunately for me, two venti teas is more than my bladder can handle, so I ended up giving the extra one to the saintly lady who sits with Mini Me during math time and tries to make sense of what's going on in that brillant little mind of hers.

I now think I've crossed the line into babbling, so that's it for me tonight folks....

Bad news

January 27th, 2008 at 07:55 am

It doesn't look good for the vacation in the tropics. My husband did a rough estimate of the taxes and my business situation; and instead of frou frou drinks poolside, I'll have to settle for plain water while continuing to slave away at the ol' salt mine.


Having a crappy few days

January 23rd, 2008 at 06:42 pm

The cold, miserable weather we're having is making me cold and miserable as well.

It doesn't help that I'm being asked to do something at my "office" that I have issues with. I plan on quitting the "office" job in May, but this is making me want to quit NOW.

I'm also irritated that one of my business clients owes me a couple thousand dollars and I haven't seen any money in a while from them.

Then there's the issue of the kid in my daughter's class who slipped three hateful letters in her backpack. My daughter can't read yet, but I can and I was so surprised by what I saw that I immediately sent off an email to the teacher asking her to discuss the issue with the kid in question. You have to wonder about a first grader who wishes someone dead.

The only good news I've had lately is that the insurance company approved three more OT visits for my daughter. We've been paying out of pocket for 6 months, but the OT decided to submit a request for more covered visits just to see what would happen since it's a new year. Surprisingly she got a letter back saying we were good for at least the next three visits, so that's $225 less we have to pay. Good thing since we maxed out the flexible spending money last week and won't be seeing any more money from it until this summer.

Whine, whine, whine

January 9th, 2008 at 07:17 pm

I'm tired and miserable tonight. I've had a stuffed up head all day and I had to start my day off by driving down south for a work-related training session during rush hour and in the bitter cold. (There's a reason I mostly work at home in my nice WARM office where the commute consists of nothing more than stumbling out of bed and down the hall.)

The training session was incredibly long and incredibly boring. It was led by various managers throughout the organization -- including my manager -- so I couldn't sneak out. Instead, I sat there thinking how I really need to get one more regular, big client for my business and bale on the "office" job.

This has been on my mind a lot lately.
Physically, the job is wearing on me (it takes a lot out of a person when they have to climb up and down a metal pole all night. Don't believe me? You try it for an evening....). So I've begun to look around for another client.

Meanwhile, back to whining...

I was planning on another no-spend day today, but as I was driving back from the South Pole I realized if I didn't fill the car up with gas I would have to endure an afternoon ride home with Mini Me that consisted of her badgering me about how we were going to run out of gas. I was just not up to the challenge today, so $46 later I had bought myself some peace and quiet -- for all of about 20 minutes.

I'm trying to finish up a client's project tonight, but am having serious problems keeping my eyes open (they hate it when you fall asleep on the job....).

Tomorrow promises to be another "fun" day -- beginning with a trip to a new dentist. When my husband switched jobs, we switched insurance, which means finding new dentists for everyone. The first quack I saw started talking about replacing every tooth in my mouth so that he could make a buck. I ran as fast I could from that guy. I'm now going to someone else in his building (anyone want to bet what this guy will try to get away with????)

Dads say the darndest things....

January 8th, 2008 at 07:04 pm

The other day I wrote about my adult stepson, who already has a very well-paying job just a year out of college. Today he got another well-paying job that is in the career field that he's interested in (as opposed to the other one, which is not).

I mentioned to my husband that I hoped he was saving some of his money and my husband said: "He doesn't need to be saving money. He's only 23."

I could not believe my ears. I'm still aghast by this thinking.

This is why we have more than $55,000 in student loans for his education -- because his father (and mother) were young when they had him and failed to save a dime toward his education (or toward anything else for that matter).

I know my stepson owes his mother a boatload of money and probably has a few credit cards he's paying off as well, but I see no reason why he can't be saving something toward his future -- even if he is just 23....

Not to gloat, but thank God my husband isn't raising Mini Me alone. She may only be 7 but I already have a bank account set up for her that her consignment money goes into (we re-sell her clothes). She's also got a college fund going and I make her put half her allowance into her piggy bank each month.

Why, oh why????

January 7th, 2008 at 01:15 pm

Why do clothing makers insist on putting tags on the sides of shirts right above your pant line?

Inevitably I spend each day scratching at my side because of the label or I cut it off and end up splitting open the seam.

I have thought about buying only shirts that have the label info printed directly on the shirts, but this limits me to primarily workout gear, which would be fine if I were a P.E. teacher....

<< Newer EntriesOlder Entries >>